The sun's ultraviolet rays (UV) can cause our skin to dry out and lose essential oils and decades of tanning, burning and over exposure to the sun may cause changes in our skin's structure. Unprotected skin exposed to the sun can gradually lose essential oils, making it dry, flaky and prematurely wrinkled. Repeated episodes of sunburn, although they appear to heal on the surface, can lead to permanent skin damage over time.
Sun is major cause premature aging
UV radiation can cause changes in the skin's collagen called photoaging. These changes can take the form of wrinkles and fine lines, decreased skin elasticity (sagging skin), or a thickened skin textured. A symptom of this is easy bruising on sun-exposed areas such as the back of hands. Over the years, repeated sunburns and unprotected exposure to the sun can increase the risk of skin cancers including basal cell and malignant melanoma and other types of skin cancers..
"Prevention is better than cure" is entirely true, also in this case . Below are few tips to protect your skin from the harmful UV rays:
- Before you go outdoor, apply sunscreen to your face neck and hands everyday. Use sunscreen that has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or more, with a broad spectrum of protection against both UV-A and UV-B rays. Broad specturm sunscreens include avobenzone, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.Mexoryl SX is a new component, that also offers strong protection against UV rays.
- Apply sunscreen generously. if you are exercising heavily or swimming, reapply.
- Always keep it with you (in your bag, gym bag or car).
- Use a sunblock on your lips, preferably with an SPF of 20 or above.
Protection From Sun
- Wear sunglasses with UV-A and UV-B light protection.
- Wear long pants, a shirt with long sleeves and a hat with a wide brim.
- Limit your time outdoors when the sun is at its highest (about 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Try a sunless tanner,if you love that bronzed look.
Pic: Sunburn effect
Don't wait, if you have any unusual looking moles or changes in your skin. See your doctor immediately